Skip to Main Content
Mobile Menu


Advisors and Advising

Why is it important for me to meet with an advisor?

Meeting with an advisor is an excellent opportunity for you to talk with a supportive staff member about your unique skills, interest, and circumstances.Your advisor will help you stay on track and enable you to reach your educational goals in a timely manner. Click here to find your advisor and learn more.

Who is my advisor?

If you have a declared major or are planning on a major, contact an academic advisor from that department. Click here to view a list of advisor contact information by department and college. If you don’t have a major or need additional assistance, please click here to schedule with AAE advisors.

Why do I have a required academic advising hold?

It is critical that you meet with an advisor during your first semester. You can chart your path to graduation and connect to resources. The hold means that you will not be able to register for second-semester classes until you have met with your advisor. Schedule an appointment as soon as possible. Click here to find your advisor and click here to schedule with AAE advisors.

Courses and Credits

How many credits do I need to be a freshman, sophomore, junior, or senior?

Freshman = 0-25 credits
Sophomore = 26-57 credits
Junior = 58-89 credits
Senior = 90 or more credits or pursing second bachelors

What do I do if some of my transfer credit did not transfer as the equivalent of Boise State University’s courses?

Students can complete a Request for Adjustment of Academic Requirements form. They should be able to present information from their previous institution indicating why the change should be made. See the REQUEST FOR ADJUSTMENT OF UNDERGRADUATE ACADEMIC REQUIREMENTS form on the Registrar’s Office homepage for signature requirements.

How is my registration appointment determined?

If you are a continuing student, registration is held in April for the summer and fall semesters and in late October/early November for the spring semester. Registration dates are determined by standing. The more credit hours you have earned, the earlier your registration appointment. Credits currently in progress are not counted toward your standing.

What is a typical course load?

A traditional undergraduate course load consists of five (5) three-credit courses taken over a fifteen-week semester (15 fall + 15 spring). Students planning to graduate in four years are encouraged to “think 30”–enroll in 30 credits over the course of the entire academic year, including summer sessions.. Maintaining a particular enrollment status is an important consideration:

Current number of credits
12 or more
5 or fewer
Enrollment Status
Three Quarter Time
Half Time
Less than Half Time

Work commitments are another important consideration. If students plan to work, they must keep in mind that a 15-credit load is approximately equivalent to a 45-hour workweek. On the average, students should spend two hours outside of class for every hour spent in class (studying, reading, completing homework, etc). So, if a student is taking 15 credit hours, the breakdown is as follows:

In Class
Out of Class
15 hours
30 hours
45 hours

Grade Point Average

What GPA do I have to maintain to continue enrolling in classes?

To remain in satisfactory academic standing (also known as Satisfactory Academic Progress or SAP) with the university students must meet certain grade-point-average requirements based on the number of credits in which they have completed. The following chart indicates the breakdown.

Credits Completes
65 or more
Minimum GPA

What requirements must I meet to remain in good academic standing for financial aid?

For financial aid purposes, the same minimum GPA requirements to register for classes apply. In addition students are required to complete at least 75% of all credits attempted during an academic year. Completed credits include all courses in which students receive an A, B, C, D, or P while credits attempted include such grades as F, I (incomplete), NR (no report), CW (complete withdrawal), IP (In Progress), or W (withdrawal).

What GPA do I need to graduate with honors?

The Office of the Registrar has detailed information at this link, but the basic breakdown is

Cumulative GPA
Cum Laude
Magna Cum Laude
Summa Cum Laude

Graduation/Degree Requirements

How do I know what requirements I am following to graduate?

In determining if you are eligible to graduate, the Registrar’s Office follows the requirements defined in a single edition of the Boise State University Catalog. You may select any edition of the catalog, provided it was published and in use while you were enrolled at Boise State University and the catalog is not older than six academic years at the time of your graduation. However, if your program requirements have changed recently, you should work with your academic advisor (in your academic department) to determine which curriculum is best for your needs and future education/employment.

How many electives can be used for graduation?

Electives vary within majors, some will allow as few as 3 while other will allow anywhere from 25 to 30. It is critical that a student work with his/her advisor to determine appropriate electives.
Categories of electives:
  • General electives, including ANY course taken not specifically required by the major.
  • Lower-Division electives, including ANY course at the 100 and/or 200 level not specifically required by the major.
  • Upper-Division electives, including ANY course at the 300 and/or 400 level not specifically required by the major.
  • Major emphasis electives, including ANY course in major field not taken to fulfill a degree requirement.

When should I apply for graduation?

Students seeking either a bachelor or associate degree should apply for graduation during the semester before they intend to graduate, but no later than the end of the first week of the semester they intend to graduate (see the Academic Calendar for exact dates). Students apply for graduation through their account.

Majors (Choosing/Changing, Four Year Plans)

I am not sure I am in the right major AND/OR have no idea what I should major in. Who can I talk to?

You can schedule an appointment with an advisor in Advising and Academic Enhancement by calling 426-4049 or view information about advising appointments. You can also talk to a career counselor at the Career Center. Additional online resources are the Career Center website and

Can I change my major?

Yes, over 70% of college students change their major. Do your homework, analyze your strengths and don’t hesitate to talk to a career counselor at the Career Center, an academic advisor, professors and professionals in the workplace. People generally enjoy talking about their careers, so don’t feel uncomfortable speaking with someone working in a field in which you’re interested. Professionals and faculty consider it a compliment to have someone interested in the work they do and the path they chose. Also, remember you have the freedom to change your major/career path at any time.

How do I declare a major

You can view and change their major or minor on my.BoiseState by accessing the ‘Change Major’ link. You are encouraged to monitor your email, as you may have additional requirements to meet with an advisor to approve your admittance into a new major or minor.

When should I declare a major?

The earlier in your academic career, the better. However, you can declare your major anytime you have analyzed your values, goals, interests and circumstances and have made your decision. You are required to have a declared major by the time you are classified as a Junior (58 credits).

Placement Tests

Where do I take the Placement Exams?

Placement Exams are given in the Testing Center in Simplot Micron Advising and Success Hub, room 213. Call 208-426-2762 or email Email: for information on tests and scheduling. Click to view a map.

How is my math placement determined?

Math placement is determined by your ACT/SAT scores, but students can opt to take an ACCUPLACER Exam. Go here for more information

How is my English placement determined?

The English department requires all students complete a placement at No appointment is required, you just need a smart phone or a computer with internet. The average time it takes to complete the assessment is 20-30 minutes.