Skip to Main Content
Working with Students in Selective Majors
- Help the student to understand the selective nature of the major and that admission is not guaranteed.
- Provide a detailed explanation of the admission requirements and general student expectations.
- Review the student’s academic record to determine potential eligibility.
- Work with the student to develop a plan to meet the admission requirements. When departmental admission requirements are not an issue, but admission at another institution is the case, work with the student to determine what might transfer from Boise State.
- Suggest coursework outside of the major that might help the student.
What if the student is not likely to be accepted to the selective major or program?
- Be honest with the student about his/her options.
- Help the student to identify interests in general. Do others majors apply?
- Use the catalog to discuss degree requirements for multiple majors.